How We Got Started
During the 1880s, the transition from outhouses to indoor plumbing was moving at a rapid pace, starting with better homes and commercial buildings. The burgeoning market for indoor plumbing spurred some gasfitters and other metal workers to specialize in this work.
The true craftsmen sought ways to distinguish those who knew what they were doing from those who didn’t. In 1882, a group of these new tradesmen in New York City banded together to form the Master Plumbers Association of New York Shortly afterward, a like-minded group joined forces in Brooklyn.
In 1883, the 125 members of the New York group formed the National Association of Master Plumbers (NAMP) to provide the public with a complete, safe and sanitary plumbing system. The NAMP was the forerunner of the National Association of Plumbing-Heating-Cooling Contractors (NAPHCC), which later became the Plumbing-Heating-Cooling Contractors National Association (PHCC).
For detailed histories of PHCC and the PHCC Auxiliary, check out these publications:
A Heritage Unique, published by the PHCC Educational Foundation
A Partnership Unique, published by the PHCC Auxiliary
PHCC Celebrates 125 Years, published by Business News Publishing
How We Serve Members
- The business-building benefits of PHCC membership are guaranteed to improve your bottom line!
- The PHCC Educational Foundation—a partnership of contractors, manufacturers and wholesalers strives to:
- Attract new talent to the industry
- Promote customer-focused service
- Leverage technology to improve contractor performance
- Offer business education and training for contractors and employees
How Our Leadership Serves You
The members of the PHCC of the Sacramento Valley Board of Directors are your trusted stewards and are committed to carrying out the association’s mission on your behalf.